Saturday, July 28, 2012

With all the nice weather we've been having lately, I've spent a lot of time outside in the garden with my family.  We got an early start by planting seeds in small containers in the house. 

The next step was to take care of a huge flooding problem in my garden area.  It seemed to hold several inches of water and never drain, must be all that clay.  Fortunately for me, there used to be a mobile home set up about 10 feet away from where my garden is currently located.   I was able to dig a trench and drain pit and connect it to the old septic system. Within 2 days my garden was dry! 

Then I had some black river dirt hauled in to top it off.  Now the garden is dry, rototilled and has good fertile soil.  We even put some raised beds in.  Once I start working on a certain area, I come up with many new ideas.  We're working on the picket fence that surrounds our garden, and an arched arbor entry to give it a focal point as you enter the garden.

My wife came up with the idea of a garden shed, which is currently in the works.  We just poured the concrete slab a few days ago, complete with hand prints and a dyed slate finish.  I'll post pictures of the shed as it progresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment